VIA The United State Department of Arts and Culture (USDAC): The U.S. Department of Arts and Culture is seeking a dynamic, experienced community organizer to help us steward the vision of our #HonorNativeLand program during a significant period of growth and visioning. We envision a teammate who believes in, and has ties to grassroots justice movements, whether hyper-local, national, or in-between. Over two years ago, the U.S. Department of Arts and Culture launched “Honor Native Land: A Guide and Call to Acknowledgment.” Since launching, #HonorNativeLand has built momentum across the country. The guide has been downloaded over 30,000 times. A pledge to orient toward Native sovereignty has been signed by over 900 cultural, education, civic and municipal entities. Those critical first steps have laid a strong foundation for the steps envisioned in Phase 2, which we invite applicants to join in.
This Role is for you if:
- Have experience and passion for movement building and/or community organizing
- You challenge yourself to think critically about the engagement of Indigenous and non-Indigenous allies in the support of Indigenous sovereignty and justice.
- You love working collaboratively, in justice-minded work structures
- You’re self-motivated and appreciate the value of an intentionally BIPOC-led, horizontally structured organization
- You believe in the power of recognizing, uplifting and championing the truth that “we are on Indigenous land”
The work will ideally begin in February 2021, beginning with a 12-month contract depending on availability and skillset. Our team is currently composed of four contractors, all compensated at an equal solidarity rate. Initial contract would be for an amount of $13,000 to $15,500, depending on agreed upon scope. As a note, our team has historically been solely contractors working on multiple other simultaneous projects, but we are actively moving toward bringing team members into part-time staff positions with benefits.
A Full List of Qualifications and Responsibilities is available HERE!
DEADLINE TO APPLY: APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED